How to Make a Ping Pong Paddle: Homemade Ping Pong Paddle
Buying a ping pong paddle sounds an expensive idea, but making one for yourself seems to be so much fun as it is not very difficult to do. It can be done at home easily without having any special skill. All you’ve got to do is to devote some of your time and energy in learning the method of making one for yourself.
A sheet of best birch plywood for the head of the paddle, a sheet of any hardwood for the handles and pads of the paddle, a jigsaw, a saw, glue used by carpenters, clamps for fixing wood and a low grit sandpaper.
Step 1. Drawing the Paddle
Lay the piece of wood on a hard and flat surface. A working table will do, or else it can be done on the floor. Take the impression of a ping pong paddle on a piece of paper and trace out the shape of the paddle either with a pencil on the piece of wood. The head of the paddle should be 15 cm wide and 16 cm tall, while the handle has to be about an inch wide and tall from the width of your fingers (that is, from the index finger to the pinky).
Step 2. Cutting the Paddle
Make sure to wear protective clothes, gloves and safety glasses during this process. Cut the paddle out of the wood using the saw. Leave the handle as thick as possible so that it gets perfect shape after all the cutting and sanding.
Best Saw for Cutting the Paddle
- Powerful 15-amp motor delivers 5 300-RPM for greater speed and faster cuts
- 7-1 4-inch carbide-tipped blade included. Spindle lock for easy blade changes.
- 51° bevel capacity with a positive stop at 45° for a wide variety of cuts
- Dust blower keeps line-of-cut free of sawdust for improved visibility
- Safety lock/guarded trigger and power-on indicator minimize accidental starts
- 13 Amp motor for more power and performance than the SKIL 5380
- 15% weight reduction vs. SKIL 5380, reduces user fatigue
- 51-Degree bevel with positive stops for great cut capacity
- Spindle lock for easy blade changes
- Improved dust blower keeps line of cut free of sawdust
Step 3. Sanding the Paddle
After all the cutting has been done, the paddle has to be in shape. If it is rough, use sandpaper to make its edges smooth.
Best Sandpaper for Sanding the Paddle
- General purpose sandpaper
- Aluminum oxide mineral
- Sands paint, wood, or metal
- Follow the grain of the wood when sanding
- Skip no more than one grit in sanding sequence
- Assorted Grit
- 12 Grits Assortment：120/150/180/240/320/400/600/800/1000/1500/2500/3000 Grit, each grit got 2 sheets
- Convenient size and easy to identify: all sandpapers are 9 x 3.6 inch, also can be cut into any size you need. Soft-backed sandpaper ensures good hand grip and can be used to polish objects smoothly with only moderate effort, with high resistance to slipping or loose during use. Grit specifications are printed on the back of the sanding papers for easy identification.
- Wet or dry sanding: waterproof and tensile resistant technology allows these abrasive paper sheets to be tough and last long on your projects, and can be used for both wet and dry purposes.
- Compatible with: this fine sandpaper is perfect for handling all kinds of odd jobs and small fasteners, from removing scuffs and abrasions on walls and baseboards to smoothing wood or mildew on toys or furniture, refinishing handrails or lawn furniture and even wet sanding stains from your vehicle
- Compatible with: perfect for handling all kinds of odd jobs and small fasteners, from removing scuffs and abrasions on walls and baseboards to smoothing wood spurs or mildew on toys or furniture, refinishing handrails or lawn furniture and even wet sanding stains from your vehicle. Doing this work can not only save money, but learn a valuable skill.
Step 4. Attaching Separate Handles
This step is optional and can be overlooked as it is a bit difficult. It is for those who want to keep handle separate from the blade. Remember to make enough measurements so that the handle can be made out of any hardwood. The handle has to be kept flat so that it offers enough support to the strong handle that will be attached to two pieces, and envelope the paddle from both sides.
Step 5. The texture of the Paddle
The texture of the surface depends upon one’s choice. The user can use rubber surface to enhance spins.
Final Step. Finishing Touches
Some colors can be applied to the paddle to make it look appealing.
This way, your own ping pong paddle can be easily made, and people will definitely appreciate you for doing it by yourself. Homemade ping pong paddle may not be the best one it can surely help you largely.
How to Repair a Ping Pong Paddle?
Repairing a ping pong paddle is as easy as it is to make one. In a matter of a few minutes, a broken ping pong paddle can be repaired. You need a knife, glue and a masking tape to fix your ping pong paddle.
Step 1. Removing the Rubber Coating
The rubber coating is to be removed from the blade with a sharp knife. As this is a costly part of the paddle, so it is advisable to take it out carefully as it to be used again.
Step 2. Removing the Handle
The fancy handles of the paddle should be detached from the main handle. Keep these parts aside until they are assembled later on making sure that the broken wood grains match when attached.
Step 3. Trimming
The wooden handle should be nicely trimmed so as to fit the ends of the blades. Take out all wood splinters that are sticking out of the blade.
Step 4. Securing the Handle
Secure the handle to the blade. Glue is to be put on the crack between the handle and the blade. Completely fix the crack with a masking tape. Leave it to dry for some time and then remove the masking tape cautiously.
Best Glue for Securing the Handle
- Newly formulated, water-based adhesive designed for assembling table tennis rubber and sponge to wooden blade
- Specifically designed for Spring Sponge rubbers; Dignics, Spin Art, and Tenergy series of rubbers
- Allows easy removal of excess glue from sponge and blade surface
- Stronger bond than Free Chack
- Easy to use: Apply the glue evenly on blade and back of the rubber sheet. When the glue dries clear, apply the rubber to the blade. Gently press and roll the rubber on the blade. Cut excess rubber from the racket
- Package length: 13.97 cm
- Package width: 8.382 cm
- Package height: 5.08 cm
- Product Type: BONDING ADHESIVES